Thursday, August 04, 2005

Three days later...

Selection conference is over. And all in all, it wasn't really the ordeal I thought it would be. The selectors tried very hard to make it a relaxed occasion for everyone, which of course is wishful thinking. But they were really nice, the other people were really nice, and I enjoyed myself. Which is more than I hoped for.

Two out of three interviews went surprisingly well - no hitches at all from my point of view. The third one left me feeling like a plucked chicken. Feathers everywhere and quite sore. Ironically enough, that was the pastoral interview, which is looking at character, relationships and leadership and collaboration. I don't think I did myself any favours in that one and couldn't really get myself across at all. But then, two out of three ain't bad. Also, talking to the others, they seemed to have had the same kind of problems in that interview, so maybe that's just the way that particular interviewer works.

The group excercise was exhausting - two hours, discussing different topics, with a different facilitator every time. Not sure if I made any friends in that one either, because once or twice I couldn't help but throw controversial statements into it. Oh well if nothing else it livened things up ;-)

The written excercise was to write a letter to a long standing friend, Jane, who just lost her husband, Ted. After writing the letter, I suddenly thought I had been calling the husband Tom instead of Ted (I hadn't) - that would have been a bit of a pastoral faux-pas...

Oh yes I forgot to tell you that the place we stayed in was an old convent, absolutely fantastic to look at, massive, high-ceilinged chapel, and lovely gardens. However, the pipes in that house were possessed. The first night, I heard a gurgling in the pipes of the sink in my bedroom, so I thought I'd be clever and put the plug in to muffle the sounds a bit. Feeling very satisfied with myself, I went back to bed. A little later, I could hear gurgling wich got louder and louder, eventually crescendoing in a loud POP! and the plug flew out of the plughole. At that point I decided the pipes were demonised and I needed to lay hands on. I half expected Moaning Myrtle to come floating out and complain...

If you want to have a look at the website of the pastoral centre where the conference was held, click here

3 Comments:

At 11:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like I could give you an insight into the physics of WHY the plug popped out. But then I am enjoying the visual of a featherless chicken performing prayer ministry on demon possessed convent plumbing :):):)

But seriously. It's good to hear that you survived it and got through in one piece (never doubted that - not for one second). There will be no let up in the prayers though. Both that the selectors make the decisions that God wants and that He strengthens and grows you for whatever lies ahead now.
God bless
P

 
At 6:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kat,
My pastoral selector was the same and tried to goad me because I was born in N. Rhodesia, now Zambia. It must be in their genes!!! I was one of the only delegates who didn't cry during the interviews and who actually enjoyed the conference.
So...if they got it horribly wrong by letting me through I am sure you will be fine. Will keep prayin' and look forward to seeing you at college in Sept. Besides, I need another off the wall colleague with me there!!

Rebel Reverend (to be). Jude

 
At 6:57 pm, Blogger Kat said...

Hey Jude!

Yeah, the rest of my group said they found the pastoral interview a bit weird too...so at least I'm not alone in that.

So the outcome remains to be seen. God is in charge after all (isn't he?).
And boy aren't I looking forward to starting at St John's! If I get a house (which I will apparently if there aren't any Peach Way flats left), fancy helping me decorate?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home