Thursday, December 22, 2005

Home sweet home

So here I am, back in Germany for the Christmas holidays. It's like stepping back in time. I get my old room (well, flat), see my old friends, and do all the stuff I used to do. Shopping, eating, arguing with my parents. It's like being a teenager again.

Seriously, though. It's great being home. I can sleep as long as I like, get great food and can catch up with all my old mates, neighbours and relatives (not that many of them around...). Add to all that the festive cheer, and you have a nice holiday. It's amazing how much into the *real* Christmas people here in Germany still are. Somehow a lot more than in England. They are a lot more open and interested about the fact that Christmas is essentially about Jesus, which is reflected in the newspaper articles and the stuff they show on telly. But church is so much still a part of the fabric of life here (meaning part of the pattern of days, rather than real conviction and Christianity) that it's probably not surprising. However, despite all that the churches are dead. A sprinkling of pensioners and the obligatory gaggle of teenagers (for their confirmation classes - don't ask!) is all you'll ever find in church on a usual Sunday.

4 Comments:

At 12:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are doing all the stuff you used to do?? Have a great time and remember God can still speak to you even in Germany.
Mad dog

 
At 3:34 pm, Blogger Kat said...

Well...not *all* the stuff. :-)

Merry Christmas to you too Mike!

 
At 3:18 am, Blogger Ash said...

Merry Christmas Kat! Hope you have a great time with your family and friends!

Lots of love,
Ash x

 
At 11:45 pm, Blogger Ciera said...

Hope you've had lots of fun! Marry Christmas - belated!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home