Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Preaching...

Ok, so this Sunday I preached for the first time. Colossians 1:9-14 for those of you who are interested in this kind of stuff. I have to say one thing, preaching isn't as nerve wracking as leading. At least you get told when to get up and go and say your bit. If you're leading, you are the one to tell others to get up and go and say their bit.

So I preached. I think it made some kind of sense to 'those out there'. However, about halfway through, I realised that I was in the process of preaching three sermons at once - and was losing the plot fast. Also, I found myself once or twice in the middle of a sentence, without the least idea as to how I started it and what the point was meant to be. But, I got through, and Christians being the kind people they are, I got very flattering comments indeed from the congregation. I must say, the vicar did not have such scruples - which is a Very Good Thing I hasten to add. He agreed with me that the talk was a bit disjointed (re. the three sermons in one) and I was assuming too much knowledge in the congregation.

I personally also think my main problem was that I didn't really know clearly where I was going - next time I'll preach off a mind map, Alyn, you'll be pleased to hear...

All in all, I was quite happy when the service was over - but I did really enjoy it at the same time. Very strange. However, I'm starting to think that all this 'upfront' stuff is a lot more stressful than I realised. Naive? Maybe. I was totally exhausted by the time Sunday evening came round. Then I realised that I was leading staff cell on the Monday morning and cobbled something together, which, actually wasn't too bad after all.

Drove in on Monday, through the rush hour traffic, and ended up with someone driving into the back of my lovely little Corsa... :-(

It's now got a hole (literally) in the bumper - exactly the same place as in May, when someone did the same thing to my mum in that car.

2 Comments:

At 1:07 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

1 I'm really pleased that your sermon went well but I expected that it would. The ones from your heart are always best.

2 What a shame about your nice little car but what about you? Are you OK?

 
At 9:42 pm, Blogger Ciera said...

Kind of reminds me of what I go through when Jerry leaves me in charge at work...never for very long, since I'm still new, but I get so very stressed each time..."I don't know why," he says, "You do fine each time." Ahhhh....well, if the boss says it, it must be so, right?!?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home