Monday, February 07, 2005

Firefox or A Post for Lee

I like Firefox because it's supported by my online bank (Safari isn't). I also like Firefox because you can have more than one website open in one Firefox window (using tabs - that's quite cool).

Other than that, I like it because it resembles Internet Explorer in its toolbar etc (I know I know, old habits die hard).

And, with Safari (as well as IE for Mac) I had a lot of trouble with online ordering - secure sites seem to have trouble with the mac protocol every now and then. I haven't come across that (yet) with Firefox.

If anyone else has anything to contribute to the above, do so using the comments link (Paul?).


3 Comments:

At 3:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firefox is generally more secure( at least at the moment) than IE because of it's simplicity. It doesnt allow spyware to stealthily install itself on your computer in the same way IE does.

The word on the street says that it complies with html standards better than IE. Although I'm not totally convinced about that yet.

It doesn't support BHOs (browser helper objects). These are downloadable IE add ons which are often used by some of the nasty browser hijacks out there such as coolwebsearch.

It contains a popup blocker.

And nicest of all, it isnt intertwined with the operating system like IE is. It uses conventional files for its caches and for cookies.

 
At 3:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS the above anonymous was me!

Paul

 
At 7:53 pm, Blogger Lee said...

That all sounds well and good for PC users.
But for us Mac users who don't have to worry about spyware, adware, viruses or trojan horses, I think I'll stick with Safari, but I'm going to download it anyway and have a looksie.
I'll probably keep it as a back up incase I find a webpage that doesn't like Safari.

Kat - I feel honoured that you devoted an entire blog entry to me, thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home