Saturday, January 28, 2006

Listening Skills

This is how it goes:

Person A: "Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb"
Person B: "So what I hear you saying is that this made you angry"
Person A: "Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb"
Person B: "Really? And how does that make you feel?"
Person A: "Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb"
Person B: "Ok, so what do you think God is trying to tell you through this?"
Person A: "Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb"
Person B: "Nooo...I don't think God is telling you to leave your wife and four kids and enter an enclosed monastery"

The above is a fine example of reflective listening, empathic listening and spiritual direction. As you can see, we have been busy at college this week.

But lectures isn't really where real life happens nowadays. I have a ministry to the poor in Bramcote, by supplying them with second hand CD players. Unfortunately, my car window is worth a lot more than said CD player, so I wasn't too impressed, however I bless these people in Jeeeeee-sus' name. May they have joy with the CD player, and may they be converted by the fine Christian Rock CD that was in said CD player.

In other news, I went swimming yesterday, in order to combat my general laziness in the sports area. I am quite impressed with myself I must say, but let's see how long this latest craze lasts.

I also went shopping today - we are starting our hospital chaplaincy placement tomorrow and the dress code is smart casual. What better excuse to go shopping!! I managed to restrain myself and only spent £40 which I think is quite good. Hospital chaplaincy will be interesting. I'm on the "Breasts and Plastics" ward, which is sadly not plastic surgery for the vain but plastic surgery for disfigurements such as burns etc. Please Lord give me strength!

4 Comments:

At 11:17 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

It's sad about your car; I'm sure you'll be fine in the hospital, it's a great bonus for them having all you students on hand.
At the Royal Horticultural Society gardens at Wisley in Surrey they have a large patch of ground where the 'National Rhubarb Collection' is kept and cultivated. Should thieves come and steal it, how could actors play crowd scenes or speaker A talk?

 
At 5:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A real niche ministry there! Who'd have thought it - conversion by christian CD. We tried the same on RTV, but somehow Crazy Frog didn't do it for him. Good luck in the hospital!

 
At 8:24 pm, Blogger Ash said...

Hi Kat,

God's love will totally flow through you to those precious patients there!

Love you loads,
Ash x

 
At 10:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure about Rhubarb with Wisley - I find it goes best with custard!! Love Helen and all the Clare and Con Homegroup

 

Post a Comment

<< Home