Thursday, March 03, 2005

Building committees and Roof Funds

Welcome to the Church of England. After the disastrous results of the meeting with the DDO (see previous posts), my pastor decided that it was partly his fault as he hasn't "exposed" me enough to church structures. As a result, I am now the coordinator of the building committee (we are looking at a £1m project, so prayers please!) as well as the next Deanery Synod delegate (don't ask me what that is, I don't know), which therefore means I am also a PCC (Parochial Church Council) member. Meetings meetings meetings. No wonder the CofE doesn't get anything done - it's death by meetings (I much prefer Death by Chocolate...).

Oh and I am also on a riveting reading scheme now. Let's see.
  • Celebrating the Anglican Way
  • The Thirty-Nine Articles and their Meaning
  • Being a Priest Today
  • The Christian Priest
  • Ministry in Three Dimensions (Diakonis, Presbyteria, Episcopate - or however you spell that)
All very very good bedtime reading - puts you right to sleep. I really hope God knows what He's up to. ;-) Only kidding.

5 Comments:

At 3:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

£1m project----- translation please :oD You know I only speak dollars and cents.....lol

We are currently undergoing a $3million construction project at the church. They are adding another wing to ease the classroom situation of the school. The crunch is that some of those who promised funds have not followed through with their pledge so things are getting very tight on the contractors end.

So, my advice to you-- plan for a backup plan-- if you ask your congregation for pledges they may not follow through and you don't want to be stuck without a roof over your head halfway into the project!

Hugs Lil' Sis
Lisa

 
At 5:43 pm, Blogger Kat said...

Hey Leesie!!

£1m = $1.6m (roughly). Hope that helps! We have to have the money upfront to be able to start building anyway - Church of England regulations. :-(

 
At 6:09 am, Blogger dearbethany said...

HAHAHA. Oh my gosh, I would die if I had to read such snore books. Yuck. Well, hope they are better than they sound.

Love you chickita banana

 
At 1:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hewo!

Well you are now exposed to a church structure, the crumbling edifice of our poor little listing building.

Just remember one thing when you're in those dry boring meetings. Our new building should be a vibrant, passionate expression of the love of God. Something that honours Him and allows His people to worship unimpeded. However musty and boring the drawings, land ownership issues and other stuff become, this is about passion and love for our Father. Let's build Him the best temple we know how! I'm right behind you sis!

P

 
At 7:05 pm, Blogger ~Jan said...

Good reading, and a witty, thoughtful blog. Thanks for sharing your gift, and your journey of faith.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home