Friday, April 01, 2005

Post-Easter Update

Well the Easter weekend was crazily busy, but in a good way. I won't bore you with the details of the whole weekend, but here are the highlights:

On Sunday morning at 6.30, a bunch of us went down to the lake to a sunrise service. I was determined not to go (I mean, 6.30 am? Am I a mug??). I woke up at six precisely, thinking "oh good, I can turn around and go to sleep again". Well I didn't. Finally I said to God "you don't really want me to go to this thing?" and he answered "why do you think I woke you up at this time?" Do you know, sometimes I wish I wasn't blessed with hearing his voice (just kidding).

Then our main service was interesting to say the least - the sermon was on how God bridged the gap between man and Himself with the cross. Well imagine one vicar balanced on two stageblocks and a bridge between them made out of a school gym bench (the whole contraption about 1.2 m high) and you get the idea...I aged about ten years imagining what would happen if the bridge broke (is there a doctor in the house????). Oh I forgot to mention that at the beginning the two blocks were together and the vicar separated them by jumping up as he counted down sins (selfishness, greed, pride, etc) with someone else pulling the block further away from God's block every time he jumped.

Then off to lunch with friends, and back at church for four pm for the prep for our evening service. We did the Road to Emmaus. Well how do I describe that...it was intended as a praise party. As most of you know, my church is an Anglican church. A middle of the road Anglican church. We don't do crazy jumping about. Well at the pre service prayer someone had a prophetic word that God would use the worship group that evening as a mirror to the congregation, ie whatever was going on in the worship group (if even only in their hearts) the congregation would mirror. Also there was a call to the worship group to take off adulthood and put on the spirit of being a child in His presence. I have NEVER seen every single person in our church raising their hands in worship, jumping up and down, clapping etc, until that evening. The place just went wild. I can't describe it so I won't try. Suffice it to say, God SO turned up. So much the sweeter for it being unexpected. I mean, we're Anglican....

3 Comments:

At 9:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Kat,

Sorry it took me a long time to comment on this. I will remember those two services as long as I live. It was a special, wonderful powerful and somehow draining (not in a negative way) experience. It just goes to show that the Holy Spirit CAN break through into an Anglican church.

I was there when that prophecy was given and I know that was the point the fuse was lit and the Spirit's fire took hold.

We need to lose our fear of letting the Spirit take control more often. And we need to lose that 'Britishness' that makes us so shy about expressing ourselves in worship. Let's hope and pray it happens more and more often.

Paul

 
At 5:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Kat!

I noticed some interesting phrases: "Take off adulthood...Put on the spirit of being a child"

Experiencing God really does require decision and action ("take off, put on") on our part, doesn't it? Yet as soon as we say yes in our spirits, God runs out to meet us more than halfway. Brilliant!

-andy, IHOP-Kansas City

 
At 2:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lil’ Sis!

Oh how totally awesome to have been there ! What a wakeup call. What a REVIVAL !

So, now I have a question for you Kat. How has your relationship changed towards God since this service? Was it a revival for YOU ? Are you back into His word again? Did you feel like you were in Toronto once more ? Have you been too busy for God since, or did He get your attention ? Ok, maybe it was more than just one question ( giggle )

Have a great day!
Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home